Thursday, May 28, 2009

Be careful what you wish for

So it seems I've done it again, wished for something, received it and lost my perspective of what a blessing it is..Ann Edwards is nearly 11 months old and getting to be so busy. She's wanting to crawl everywhere and pulling up on everything. These days it seems she needs a supervisor and a protector, much to her dismay, as she craves new adventures and independence. Thus at times I find myself looking at her wondering where my little baby has gone. So the wish started, a little tug at my heart, hoping for more time to hold her, nurture her and soothe her. I am so thankful for the gift God gave us in this precious child, but was aching for her to need me like she used to..Then my gift arrived wrapped in a strange package of diaper rash, a fever and dripping-faucet-like-drool...The dreaded teething phase! Now it seems every night Ann Edwards wakes up several times saying "Ya, Ya" (Her version of Mama) and crying, so I sleepily shuffle down the short hall to her room scoop her up in my arms and soothe her back to sleep. And frankly, I've been feeling quite tired the past few nights. Until last night, I had a rare burst of energy for her 4 am waking, and actually opened my eyes to see her sweet grin, and the trace of her dimple just under her left eye as I opened her door and went to rescue her. As I held her in the quiet of the night and rocked her back to sleep it felt as if time stood still for those moments. She was once again wrapped in the safety of my arms, and all was right in the world. We had the sweetest moments of her gazing up at me until she drifted back asleep. I found myself once again realizing what a gracious God I serve, and one with a sense of humor too...So I tell you, be careful what you wish for..although if you look close enough you'll find you're probably right smack in the middle of a blessing...

2 comments:

  1. Lolly, your daughter is so cute. I remember you doodling her name back in the days of JRNL1100. I am glad you started a blog! Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me cry. I know you know what it means to have a high-needs little one- so it's nice to read about that ebb & flow. Looking forward to those days when I'm missing Annie needing me so much. Meanwhile, we'll hold & cuddle & rock.

    ReplyDelete