Sunday, May 29, 2011

More than just a phase...I hope

We have officially entered into the Princess Phase with Bitty. I was hesitant at first because of all the media and paraphernalia out there about being a princess. It definitely wasn't something I introduced or pushed, but a natural progression and love for dressing up, castles, stories and of course the prince, who is always played by Daddy. Even at the end of Cinderella as she runs off with her prince Bitty will proclaim, "Oh! Look at her and her Daddy!". I love that it doesn't cross her mind that it would be anyone other than her Daddy! But lately, this has taken a deeper meaning to me, about the role of "daddy" to little girls and ultimately our role of our Father God, our "Abba" which when translated literally means Daddy, the most dear name for us to cry out. So I'm officially embracing this phase and actually learning a LOT myself through it.


For months the Lord has been working on my heart to rewrite my identity as His alone! Of all His goodness and faithfulness I struggled with my flesh to truly believe that He would call me HIS, that I was worthy of being His child. The truth is that His word says He is King, and as His children we are heirs to the throne...which makes me a princess!

Romans 8: 14-17 (NIV)
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.



I love the way He works and the timing that this revelation in my own life came alongside me watching Ann Edwards discover that she too is a princess. So, we decided to start sharing with her the truth of her being a Child of God and she so faithfully believes and walks out that role. Sometimes she will just say, "I'm a pincess", and I'll ask her how she knows and she'll say, "Because I'm a daughter of the King!" Oh the precious faith of a child!

The other morning I came across this verse and knew the Lord was knocking at my heart to reveal His truth again...

Isaiah 61:10 (The Message)

I will sing for joy in God,
explode in praise from deep in my soul!
He dressed me up in a suit of salvation,
he outfitted me in a robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom who puts on a tuxedo
and a bride a jeweled tiara.
For as the earth bursts with spring wildflowers,
and as a garden cascades with blossoms,
So the Master, God, brings righteousness into full bloom
and puts praise on display before the nations.



The NIV version says "As a Bride adorns herself with jewels". As I read this verse my girl played happily across the room from me and I watched her so naturally fulfilling the role of Princess, of Daughter of the King. She wore her pjs as it was still early in the morning, but she had requested heels and necklaces before coming downstairs. The Lord spoke to my heart revealing that He longed for me, for all this children to faithfully believe and take up our roles as His Children daily! As I thanked Him for His goodness, out of no where she stopped playing, walked over to me and took the pink jewels from around her neck and held them out for me saying "This are for you, they are yours" and she placed them around my neck. How beautiful that the Lord would speak to me and minister to me through my sweet daughter.

I embraced the Father's heart for me that morning in a new and a special way...a way that I long to experience each day. I am His princess and all these dresses, heels and tiaras have a whole new meaning for me now...A deep longing in each of us to be the children of the King that we are, a longing I will prayerfully nurture in all of my children!

I love this phase and pray it becomes her total identity as Daughter of the King, Daughter of our great God! I now cherish each time she says boldly "I'm a pincess!" (we're working on getting the 'r' in there)...

4 comments:

  1. I love this. What a sweet reminder that you get each day! So glad you are blogging again- we may be far apart but I am touched down here in Tampa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this may seem SO stalkerish and I'm sorry... but I love your blog SO SO much. I'm so glad you started blogging again. You are SUCH a wonderful writer and this post may be my all time favorite. I do NOT endorse princesses at my house either, but they are coming whether I like it or NOT. So, I'm SO thankful for this post. What a beautiful twist and I LOOOOOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love the blessings that child delivers! See? You are so good at this. Don't take any more breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing! Bitty is a blessing, You are a blessing, and mostly, our Abba Father is! Thanks for the reminder! I think I'll go dust off my tiara and give it a whirl "just because"! Love you!

    ReplyDelete